Wednesday 4 April 2012

Round and Round

Yesterday I nipped across to see Louise at the Studio.  I haven't been far the last few days as I have had a stinky cold.  Actually we all have.  K started the day he broke up from school in typical teacher style.  Well all term - feeling yukky for half term hols.  Never mind we are all on the mend and looking forward to going to Cornwall at the weekend.  We are all going including Betty's BF Antanon and Dyl the dog.  Yeah we can't wait.  Anyhow I have digressed I nipped to see Louise for a natter, a cuppa and a spot of sewing.  We decided that I would have a bash at the Roundie cushion from the Liberty Sewing Book.  Because Lou likes me (haha) she let me look in her precious stash of fabrics from THE BACK ROOM.  This is Louise's inner sanctum where she keeps all her treasures and her own works of art.  I/We chose some vintage eiderdown fabrics and a splash of vintage Sanderson fabric.  I followed the instructions in the book very carefully.  I am rubbish at following precise instructions and tend to rush in but not this time.  I read carefully and measured carefully.  The cover was too big and too full.  I took out a couple of sections from the cushion and reduced the length of the strips by 10cm.  Now I do know that I am not alone in this because the lovely Mandy had previously made the roundie and found it worked up too big for the size of cushion pad recommended. Boo Mr Liberty check out your patterns please.  This wasn't the first pattern I have made up recently to find a few anomalies I made the Cathedral Window Cushion from the CK book and found a few flaws although when it was finished it was really petty albeit mega time consuming.  .Anyhow I was delighted with the finished roundie and was positively giddy when it was all stuffed and primped and preened and buttoned.  Want to see.  Ok.

swoon


so pretty.  vintage eidy, sandersons and vyella


what a little cutie a roundie pin cushion


Ah roundie love.

Louise and I proclaimed it to be a success.  Lou made the baby one to match. 

So if you are going to have a go at the roundie and want to use the cushion pad recommended I would make the strips 45 cm long and not 55 cm.  I also took out some of the width from the fabric as it seemed too full and didn't show off the fabric so well but I suppose this is personal preference. Have a go though its great fun and I can honestly say it did take a little while to get it just right and I didn't think I was going to like it much but I did I was positively giddy. By the way I made my own inner.  Two circles of lining fabric with a gusset to give the cushion depth (which I think is essential) quickly whizzed together and stuffed with light poly filling.  I find a cheap way to buy stuffing is to buy the cheapest bed pillows from Ikea.  Its light and fluffy and cheap as chips - about £1.75.

If you would like to have a go at making whether you are a proficient maker or someone who has never used a machine before do pop along to the Studio and have a go - I promise you will love it.  Louise is a very friendly talented lady who has everything you could ask for at hand and guess what, more often than not, I am there too and I make a mean cup of tea! I'm not bad on the old sewing machine either.

Hope to see you soon!

Oh and if there happens to be anyone out there that would like me to test their patterns then let me know - I love a challenge!

7 comments:

Used-to-Bees said...

Those are beautiful! I love the combination of fabrics. Strangely, I was up in the attic a short while ago, hunting for something, and I found a round feather cushion pad. I might have to have a go some time soon, though I doubt mine will be as lovely!
x

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Great job and love the choice of fabrics.

Diane said...

They are lovely Debs - fabulous fabric. Have you got room in your car for me? xxxxxx

lemonade kitty said...

OMG I've never seen anything so gorgeous, expertly made and with fabrics to die for. Enjoy Cornwall and don't forget to take your camera, Lucey x

Kylie said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous cushion (s)!

Sally said...

Ooo Debs that is so pretty, gorgeous fabrics. I would love a look and rummage around in that back room!
Sally x

Rachael said...

These are gorgeous but far beyond my level of expertise. You did a wonderful job.Rx

http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/